So, Scott and I have this superstition: Whenever we say something like "oh, this show will be a short one," we'll inevitably end up making one of the longest podcasts in our show's history.
Guess what we said right before recording "Heart-Stopping Last Laps of Racing"? You got it:
"Yeah," we said, "this will be a short one."
File that under "Famous Last Words." As it turns out, reliving some of racing's most surprising upsets is just too cool to squeeze into one show.
When we finished recording, Scott and I decided to collect all of the moments we mention on the show into one convenient blog post. Check 'em out below, and let us know what you think. You can also stream both episodes of our series here, in case you'd like to listen along as you watch.
1. The 1996 CART Series: "The Pass"
2. The 1979 Daytona 500: "The Fight"
3. The 2001 Spanish Grand Prix: "Mikka Hakkinen's Last Lap Calamity"
4. The 2012 Talladega 500: "The Big One"
5. 1992 Indianapolis 500: "The closest finish in Indy history"
6. 2001 Daytona 500: "A long-awaited victory and the death of a NASCAR legend"
7. 2011 Indianapolis 500: "Unexpected Win #2 for Dan Wheldon at Indy"
8. 2012 Indy 500: "Win #3 for Dario Franchitti"